The mission of SHIP is to bring life-saving drugs, vaccines and medical devices to market by acting as a catalyst in the product development of new innovative interventions.
- Act as a funding agency for leading multidisciplinary projects.
- MRC fund the infrastructure and salaries
- Actively manage and coordinate health innovation in South Africa within the strategic disease and technology focus areas.
- Provide strategic and scientific leadership
- Seek to augment gaps in the innovation pipeline by leveraging non-financial resources
- Use funds flexibility between disease focus areas based on project needs.
- Ensure that SHIP research is globally aligned and competitive through collaboration with other PDPs, such as MMV, AERAS etc.
Officially launched on the 23rd April 2013, SHIP is a new MRC unit that will:
- Seek, manage and fund multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional product research, development and innovation projects from discovery to proof-of-concept
- Enhance the capacity of South African science in the research and development of novel or improved drugs, vaccines and other biologicals, diagnostics and medical devices in the identified priority diseases
- Facilitate, through partnerships with local universities, science councils and the private sector, the transfer of research outputs into improved health outcomes and/or social benefit
- Along with its Technology Transfer unit, develop pathways to facilitate the seamless movement of new products and services from the laboratory to the marketplace.
SHIP is a health technology Product Development Partnership, supported by the DST that will:
- Change the way health research, development and innovation is managed, funded and conducted in SA.
- Manage the existing DST strategic health innovation initiatives in HIV (SHARP), TB (SATRII), malaria (SAMI), non-communicable diseases (NCDI), Medical Device Innovation Platform (MDIP), the DoH funded SAAVI (and imminently-maternal and child health).
- Leverage local and international funding by acting as a central conduit for foreign institutions seeking to partner with South African Research agencies.
Click here to learn how SHIP fits into the innovation landscape