guide available in pdf
format, 185 kb
TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER - THE BASICS
- What is technology transfer?
- What is the role of the MRC IC in technology
transfer and how can we help MRC scientists?
- What is the role of MRC scientists/inventors
in technology transfer?
- How can MRC scientists benefit from technology
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, INVENTIONS AND INVENTORS
- What is intellectual property?
- What constitutes an invention?
- Who is an inventor?
- Who owns the invention?
SECTION C: PROTECTING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- What is a patent?
- What are the legal requirements for patenting an invention?
- What constitutes public disclosure?
- In what categories are patents granted?
- What is patentable in the field of biotechnology?
- What is not patentable?
- Can genes, EST's or SNPs be patented?
- Can computer-related (bioinformatics) inventions be patented?
- Who should be listed as an inventor on a patent?
- How does the patenting process work?
10.1. Filing a provisional application
10.2. The priority date
10.3. The Patent Co-operation Treaty
10.4. International Search Report
10.5. Other important patenting timelines
10.6. The national phase
10.7. Patent prosecution and protection period
10.8. Patenting costs
- Who benefits from a patent?
- To publish or to patent?
- How does filing for a patent affect publications/presentations/posters?
- When and why should I carry out a patent search?
- How do I carry out a patent search?
- What is copyright?
- How do I ensure that my work has copyright protection?
C.3. TRADE MARKS
- What is a trade mark?
- How do I register a trade mark?
C.4. PLANT BREEDERS' RIGHTS
- What are Plant Breeders' Rights?
C.5. TRADE SECRETS
- What is a trade secret?
- What is confidentiality?
- How do I protect confidential information?
- What should be in a Confidentiality Agreement (NDA)?
- What is a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)?
- Why are MTAs used?
ASSESSMENT OF IP
- How will my invention be assessed?
GUIDELINES FOR LABORATORY NOTEBOOKS
- Why is it essential to keep good research records?
- How do I keep good research records?
HOW TO PREPARE A BUSINESS PLAN
- What is the purpose of a business plan?
- How do I write a business plan?
HOW TO PREPARE A MARKETING PLAN
- What is the purpose of a marketing plan?
- How do I write a marketing plan?
- How do I do market research?
FUNDING FOR COMMERCIALIZATION OF RESEARCH
- What funding channels apply to the commercialization process?
- What public funding is available for commercialization of research?
- What private funding is available for commercialization of research?
THE COMMERCIALIZATION PROCESS
- What is involved in commercializing research?
- What are the possible commercialization routes that I can take?
- What is a license?
- What issues must be addressed in terms of license agreements?
- What types of technology licenses do you get?
- What are royalties and upfront payments in licensing and how are they decided?
I.2. SPIN-OUT AND START-UP COMPANIES
- What are spin-out and start-up companies?
- When would one form a spin-out or start-up company rather than licensing out a technology?
- Is there any support available to my spin-out or start-up company?
I.3. DIRECT SALE OF PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
- What if I can produce a product or offer a service directly from my bench?
I.4. USE OF TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER AGENCIES
- What does a technology transfer agency do?